Sunday, October 24, 2010

Gravley Heritage

I think a lot of people often wonder about their heritage, who their ancestors are and just where they came from. I've read a lot of information regarding my family and from a very young age. I was able to read about my family as they came to Texas from the Carolina's. The book this information came from described in detail the lives of many of my ancestors. I guess because I've had some access to this information and have had so many great Gravley's to look up to and in my life, I am proud to say... I'm a Gravley. It's not a common name and there are really no amazing accomplishments my family attributed to in the formation of our country or anything like that (that I'm aware of anyway)...BUT, there's a VERY long lineage. I can remember reading or hearing something about my family coming from England...Hertfordshire to be precise. So I took it upon myself to Google "Gravley+Hertfordshire, England" (or something like that). I quickly realized there's an actual village in England named after my family. Graveley, Hertforshire, England. Granted, it's spelled a little differently, but I will never forget reading the Coat of Arms that used to be on my Mammaw & Pappaw's wall (in the hallway, just before their bedroom)...it read that ALL members of the family, regardless of the spelling, are related. So, obviously, this village is a part of my family...right? I mean, I'm no expert and I'm certainly not deluded enough to truly believe this town IS named after my family...BUT, seriously? Coincidence? I think not. It is my goal, to one day, visit this village and see, quite possibly, my family's extensive heritage, in person. Sure, there may be a lot of research to be done to link my family name of Gravley to Graveley, but I'll do it. I dunno, it just adds even more pride of my family name to me...especially since some of the things I've read take this village back to the 12th century!

So, without further ado, here are a few pics I've found of Graveley, Hertfordshire... and here's the
website!

1 comment:

Keelie said...

Wow! I think that is WAY cool1 I am very intrigued by all that but just never had the time or know-how to research it. Ever considered doing the ancestors.com thing? Justin's mom and aunt did that and found out so much. This year they actually had a memorial cermony for a distant relative who had never had a proper burial. It was a big to-do with people dressed in period garb, etc. There was even a write-up in the paper. Anyway--hope you make it to Graveley someday:)