Friday, April 9, 2010

Fascinating video

I recently came across this video. It's said to be one of the first 35mm videos taken and this one was strapped to the front of a cable car in San Francisco. The Youtube video says 1905, but it is now believed to be from 1906 and just 4 days before the infamous San Francisco earthquake. Take a look...




Yeah, I realize it's just a video of a street and it's something many may find boring or the like. However, for me, it's an absolute fascination. Why? Well for starters, I am able to ACTUALLY see a glimpse into the past. I mean we're talking over a CENTURY ago. To me, that's simply amazing. This is no movie set, these are real people, real cars, real horse drawn carriages. Some of these buildings made it through that earthquake but I'm certain many of these people did not. There's really not much more I can say about it, I'm simply amazed.

In case you're wondering what it looks like today, take a look at the video below...

No comments: