Monday, April 26, 2010

The Holocaust

Yeah, I realize the title of this blog alone is a bummer but I've been putting off blogging about this long enough for fear of possibly hurting someone's feelings. However, since I've not spoken to this person in well over 15 years, I think it's ok. Recently on Facebook, someone posted how they've been reading on the Holocaust after a recent trip to the Middle East. Ok, so then this person goes on to say..."I didn't realize just how bad things were in that time period." Alright, for starters, there was a World War going on, that's bad enough BUT the fact that thousands were subject to genocide, not only including those of Jewish faith, but countless others makes it FAR worse. I would understand if you grew up in the jungle like Mowgli and had no idea, I'd understand if you were an impoverished child growing up in a third world country, I might even understand if you were mentally disabled...but you're not. Hence, my distinct reply...shame on you. However, I will give you the benefit of a doubt BECAUSE perhaps you were referring to something else regarding that time period, something obscure or not available via a standard history textbook, numerous novels including Anne Franke, the movie industry including Schindler's List...maybe, just maybe, it was something different. Regardless, your post reflected ignorance and I felt sorry for you. I think it's imperative for everyone to understand history, to know what ACTUALLY took place in order for the human race to evolve beyond arrogance, ignorance and disdain. Sure, that's something unattainable, heck we can't even attain that in our own country but if we don't try, then all those that perished before us, died in vain.

Just a note: This is obviously an attempt to get my opinion out following said post on Facebook. Should this person be referring to something completely different, I apologize but hope others will reflect upon this message. Afterall, the internet can only tell a person so much and I was simply describing my feelings when reading what was written. If I am correct in this ignorance, then again...shame on you...BUT congratulations on enlightening yourself to that severe stain in the pages of history.

No comments: