Sunday, May 30, 2010

Unfathomable

As many of you know, there's a huge oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico...and it's yet to be stopped. According to all news reports BP is working diligently to get it contained, however, every effort thus far has been an effort in futility. It seems the US is now experiencing the worst environmental disaster in history...in HISTORY! The sad thing is, we've yet to see the true effects of this disaster and, maybe we won't, maybe I'm just thinking the worst. However, here are a few numbers...it's estimated that 798,000 gallons of oil are being leaked into the Gulf of Mexico daily, which means since it began....roughly more than 25,536,000 gallons or 608,000 barrels are NOW in the Gulf. It is larger than the Exxon Valdez disaster in 1989. It's been more than 20 years since that happened and Prince William Sound is still recovering. I find it troubling that, in my lifetime, I've seen two horrific oil-related disasters. At what cost are we willing to continue to find oil? Now, don't get me wrong, I love my gas guzzling car (may be hypocritical but it's true) and I'm far from a tree hugger, but it only takes a smidgen of common sense to understand the effects oil was/is/will be having on nature. The current catastrophe, in the Gulf, is a ticking time bomb. Slowly we are beginning to see the effects, but just how much damage has it yet to inflict? It's unfathomable.

No comments: