Monday, May 31, 2010

FML

Are you familiar with that sentiment? If not, it stands for F*** My Life. Yeah, that's how I'm feeling at this moment. I got a text close to 10:30 tonight from a friend that I work with letting me know that her grandfather was on his deathbed and would not be making it through the night. I felt compassion and sympathy for her immediately. Then I received a text asking if I could work for her tomorrow from both my manager and her. The usual answer would be...YES, without a doubt, I'd hope the same from those I consider both friends and coworkers. However, I already have so much planned and scheduled for tomorrow and this was completely late notice. Yes, I understand tragedy strikes at any time and what I'm saying, in no way, is directed towards the loss of her grandfather. My point in the matter is this...I feel extremely guilty for continuing to make use of a day I am supposed to be off work. Sure, were I to be sitting on my ass watching TV or playing a round of golf or the like, I would certainly drop those things and go to work. It's who I am, it's what I do. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm probably declining going to work tomorow for similar frivolous reasons BUT I've already rescheduled these things a couple of times and, without a doubt, in the end, it WILL cost me money if they don't take place. Just ONE example, my car was due for a 90 day service April 18th and it's yet to be done...just one of the things I plan on doing tomorrow. Again, it's probably not on that certain level of "importance" BUT it IS my day off AND I have things planned, so why do I still feel guilty???? FML.

1 comment:

Keelie said...

yeah...I learned about that "sentiment" this year in a most unusual way...

It is possibly my least favorite sentiment ever. but that's not the point.

you feel guilty because like you said--its who you are its what you do. My question is--is the guilt so much that you should have just worked, or will the guilt subside in a couple days?

Mine is the latter. They'll figure it out. and your car won't fall apart so you can continue to go to work on you rregularly scheduled days. :)

LYL