Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Precious

I recently watched the movie Precious. I watched because I knew it had to be a good movie given all the accolades it's garnered, plus the reviews were all (mostly) great. So I gave it a shot. From the back of the case, it reads....


"Precious Jones, an inner-city high school girl, is illiterate, overweight and pregnant...again. Naive and abused, Precious responds to a glimmer of hope when the door is opened by an alternative-school teacher. She is faced with the choice to follow opportunity and test her own boundaries. Prepare for shock, revelation and celebration."


Let me first say, the term "shock" is an understatement. I was livid, pissed off and hurt, all in one, by this film. It's strange when a movie can speak to you and I, personally, cannot get this one out of my head. I will say this, Mo'Nique DESERVED her award. Why? Because by the end of the movie, I wanted to knock her ass out then hug her for some reason. It actually changed my opinion of her. I mean, I've seen her on Queens of Comedy and then this? It was insanely different. So, if you're interested in watching this flick, take this into account...it's gritty, honest, powerful and sad. That being said, I loved it. I can only hope that Gabourey Sidibe continues to act and has a successful career. I, for one, am thankful this was not a true story (I think anyway). Although I'm certain there are people out there experiencing similar challenges. I hope those people gain strength from this film.

No comments: